What sort of packaging do you use?

DVD Cases
For the DVDs we create in-house, we re-use DVD cases we receive from public and school libraries, who disassemble new DVDs to put them into other cases for security or space savings

We do not shrinkwrap the DVDs we create. We prefer not to use more plastic or be near the fumes the shrinkwrap process would create. There is shrinkwrap on the DVDs we purchase wholesale.

Shipping Materials
ENVELOPES: In an effort to use as little new materials as possible, we ship in envelopes we are able to print the addresses on directly, eliminating the need for shipping labels.
BOXES: We re-use boxes that are sent to us.
BUBBLEWRAP: When possible, we re-use bubble wrap bags we purchase from a various computer parts vendors.
PACKING MATERIAL: We re-use the packing material contained in boxes sent to us.

Can my order be shipped EXPRESS or PRIORITY?

Yes. Please note: next day shipping/arrival is not guaranteed. USPS guarantees two days. Orders will usually be shipped within three business days if DVD is in stock. If you would like for your order to be shipped Priority Express, you must call first to see if that would be possible and to inquire if the DVD is in stock.

Can I be invoiced for my order?

Purchase Orders by Email
To order DVDs by emailing a PDF or Word doc of a purchase order, please email a purchase order detailing DVD title(s) and price to sales@greenplanetfilms.org.

Purchase Orders by Mail
To order DVDs by mailing a purchase order, please post your order detailing the DVD title and price to:
Green Planet Films
PO Box 815
Stonington CT 06378

Purchase Orders by Fax
We no longer accept faxes. Please email a PDF to sales@greenplanetfilms.org.

How do I order by phone?

Individuals or organizations wishing to place an order by telephone using Mastercard, Visa, Discover or American Express, please call 415.377.5471 (Eastern Standard Time). Office hours vary, thus please leave a message and we will be happy to return the call.

What types of payments do you accept?

Credit Cards
We accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover and American Express.

Credit Card or wallet

Amazon Payments
If you already have an Amazon.com account, this method offers quick checkout since payment options and shipping addresses are supplied from your Amazon account during the checkout process.

Institutions and businesses can pay by check if a purchase order number is supplied. The order will be shipped immediately. Individuals can order and pay by check. Orders will be shipped once the check clears.

Do You Have a BLOG?

Yes! You can read our BLOG about environmental film news, film festivals, and much more at www.greenplanetfilms.org/blog 

When do I need PPRs? Can you provide examples?

How many times have you seen the phrase “For Home Use Only” on a DVD and wondered if it was really OK to show the program to students in a classroom or a library setting? While there has been a lot of confusion in this area, the U.S. copyright laws are quite clear in offering guidance on this question. The question can easily be answered by examining the context in which the film is being shown.

First, you’ll need some background. The “public performance” of an audio-visual work is the exclusive right of the copyright holder to show their audio-visual work in public and charge for that performance. However, the U.S. Copyright Act of 1976, Section 110 (1) provides an exemption for certain performances of videos in the United States. This law has come to be known as the “classroom exemption” and provides the basis for responsible and legal use of videos in an educational setting, provided certain criteria are met.

There are four main criteria that must be met before an educator should feel comfortable in showing a videotape or DVD in their classroom. The Copyright Act states that the performance of an audio-visual work “by instructors or pupils” in the course of “face-to-face teaching activities” of a “non-profit educational institution” in a “classroom or similar place devoted to instruction” is exempt from the copyright holder’s exclusive right to perform an audio-visual work.

The Report of the House Committee on the Judiciary, Report No 94-1476, which accompanied the passage of the Act in 1976, provides assistance in interpreting the four requirements of the classroom exemption.

1) The term “instructors” is defined as the designated teacher of a class and may also include a guest lecturer or substitute teacher. “Pupils” are members of the enrolled class.

2) A performance is only exempt if it occurs during “face-to-face” teaching activities. According to the House Report, instructors and pupils need to be in the same general place, but don’t necessarily need to be able to see one another or be in the same room. Excluded from the exemption is broadcasting or other transmissions from a location into the classroom, whether by means of radio or television or open or closed circuit. (In a future article, we will address the various types of technological devices used to play video in schools and what is commonly considered to be an acceptable use.)

The “teaching activities” requirement is explained by the House Report to encompass systematic instruction of a wide variety of subjects, but does not include performances, regardless of their cultural value or intellectual appeal, that are given for recreation or entertainment purposes. The exemption, therefore, would not apply to non-instructional performances used as filler, for reward or for motivation.

3) According to Section 110(1), only performances by nonprofit educational institutions may take advantage of the classroom exemption. The House Report provides examples such as dance studios and language schools as profit-making institutions that may not take advantage of the exemption. Although the law states that profit-making institutions do not meet the explicit requirements of the classroom exemption, according to Nimmer on Copyright (1999), Section 8.15[B][3] , a leading legal treatise on copyright law, the exemption may be interpreted to apply to private, nonproprietary educational institutions that charge tuition or other fees to meet operating expenses.

4) The House Report also explains that a performance is exempt only if it takes place in a “classroom or similar place devoted to instruction” in which the audience members are of a particular class. For example, performances in an auditorium or stadium during a school assembly, graduation ceremony, class play or sporting event are not exempt unless the audience members are of a particular class. If the performance is not in a classroom, then the “similar place” must be a place that is actually used as a classroom for systematic instructional activities like a library, studio, workshop, gymnasium, training field, the stage of an auditorium or the auditorium itself.

So, if all of the conditions of the classroom exemption are met, it is permissible to show a legally obtained video or DVD in a U.S. classroom or school library without obtaining permission from the copyright owner even if labels like “For Home Use Only” appear on the outside of the video cassette. The “classroom exemption” supersedes these written warnings of the copyright holder.

Even if all of these conditions are not met, you still may have rights to use the audio-visual work in various settings under the doctrine of “fair use,” which we will explore in a future article. Another alternative would be to obtain the copyright owner’s written permission for the intended use.

This article was created to provide you with general information and may not address your specific question or situation. Your specific question or situation may change the legal implications. In addition, laws are subject to change and varying interpretations and each jurisdiction has different laws and regulations. Consequently, this article is distributed with the understanding that neither the author nor publisher is rendering legal advice or professional services, nor does it form an attorney-client relationship. Please be sure to consult with an attorney licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction before taking any action on your specific question or situation.

What kind of licensing do I need?

There is no short answer for licensing, it depends on the type of usage you intend to use the film for.


– licensing a streaming file for academic use for a set period of time, or into perpetuity

– licensing a film for a public performance, ticketed or non-ticketed

– licensing for broadcast

– licensing for *captive audiences*

and more.

The best thing to do is call is at 415-377-5471 and tell us about the film and your intended usage, then we can answer accordingly.

Do I Need Public Performance Rights to show films?

Yes, you will in some cases. Please see examples below.

Copyright Law – Video Recordings and Public Performance Rights

Showing a film to a group may require obtaining public performance rights. It is a public performance if ANY of the following are true:

* the screening is open to the public
* the screening is in a public space – access is not restricted
* persons attending are OUTSIDE the normal circle of a family and its acquaintances

Examples of public performances:

* Showing a foreign-language film to the community for cultural enrichment
* Showing a film to your club or organization
* An instructor showing a film in the classroom for curriculum-related purposes, but inviting persons outside the class to attend
* An instructor showing a film to the class for curriculum-related purposes, but in a public or unrestricted-access location

Examples of non-public performances:

* Privately viewing the film in your room with friends
* An instructor showing the film to officially registered students in a classroom, where content of film directly relates to the course.

What is "Fair Use"?

An excellent description can be found at American University’s Center for Social Media.

The Code of Best Practices in Fair Use for Media Literacy Education. Click below to read it.

This document is a code of best practices that helps educators using media literacy concepts and techniques to interpret the copyright doctrine of fair use. Fair use is the right to use copyrighted material without permission or payment under some circumstances—especially when the cultural or social benefits of the use are predominant. It is a general right that applies even in situations where the law provides no specific authorization for the use in question—as it does for certain narrowly defined classroom activities.

This guide identifies five principles that represent the media literacy education community’s current consensus about acceptable practices for the fair use of copyrighted materials, wherever and however it occurs: in K–12 education, in higher education, in nonprofit organizations that offer programs for children and youth, and in adult education.

I have produced a film, how do I get it into your library?

We’d like to learn about it! Green Planet Films welcomes submissions of completed work. To begin, email us at info@greenplanetfilms.org and tell us about your film. We will then provide an outline of the process and what the next steps will be..

What services do you provide to filmmakers?

For filmmakers with completed films and videos, Green Planet Films provides the following services:

  • Distribution & fulfillment to individuals, schools and libraries (DVDs and digital files)
  • Listing in our online searchable catalog
  • Streaming on Green Planet Stream
  • Fiscal Sponsorship
  • Amazon.com DVD and Instant Video sales

Please visit our Filmmaker Services Section HERE

The purpose of making any film is to have it seen. Green Planet Films provides a critical link between filmmakers and audiences.

If you are interested in submitting your film, or to learn more information about our filmmaker services, please email us at: info@greenplanetfilms.org

What is your Federal TAX ID number?

Our tax ID number is 86-1057806

What are your policies and organizational documents?

Do you have a streaming website?

Yes, please visit Green Planet Stream, where you can stream and even download certain films.

I'm a public librarian. Do you have streaming videos for PL use?

Yes we do! You can find most of our titles on Kanopy, Hoopla and Overdrive.